There are many different impulses when you give gifts, and many times you want to convey a certain feeling with your gift. Here are some ideas to help you keep perspective on the feeling you want to give instead of the thing you want to give.
Be Mindful this Holiday Season!
Think about the message behind the gift to help you keep perspective as you are shopping. When you consider the message you’re trying to send, you’ll be able to resist impulse purchases or blowing your budget on gifts that don’t support your message and your values.
- I appreciate you.
- I want you to be joyful and happy.
- I love you.
- I want to share my family traditions with you.
- You are supported!
- I am thinking of you!
- I see you, I notice you.
- I care about you.
What does the gift recipient value?
- Freedom to choose their own gift.
- Spending time with family.
Examples of gifts that may support values and fit your budget
- A homemade affirmation from the heart (see my blog post on creating custom Affirmations as gifts)!
- A favorite home-cooked meal.
- A new board game plus “reservation” for one family game night.
- A framed photo or canvas print to memorialize a fun experience together.
- An experience that you can share and enjoy.